- Instagram reels can now be a full minute long, double the previous limit.
- The default time limit, however, is just 15 seconds.
- If you don’t have the option to make minute-long Reels, try updating or reinstalling Instagram.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you’re new to Instagram Reels, or you haven’t made one since they were first launched, you might think you have to keep those videos to just 15 seconds. But that isn’t the case anymore: Instagram Reels can now be up to 60 seconds in length.
However, you’ll need to actively access that option, as it isn’t the default for Instagram Reels.
Here’s how to share and create short videos for Instagram:
How to make a 60 second Instagram Reel
Even though you can make up to a minute-long Reel, the default time is limited to 15 seconds. Here’s how to access the new time limit:
1. Open Instagram and tap your profile photo to navigate to the Reels area.
2. Select Reels at the bottom of the screen.
3. On the left side of the screen, tap the circle with 15 inside.
4. More options will then pop up. You can select different options for your Instagram Reel time.
5. For minute long Reels, select the circle containing 60.
Why can’t I get 60 second reels on Instagram?
There can be several reasons why you may not be getting the option to create minute-long Instagram Reels. The first step is to check if your Instagram app is updated.
If it is, here are some other methods you can try:
- Log out of your Instagram account, then log back in.
- Uninstall and reinstall your Instagram app.
- Clear the app cache on your iPhone or Android device.
- Report the issue to Instagram.
- Sign up for Instagram Beta’s Android testing program.