- You can invert all the colors on your iPhone using the Accessibility menu in the Settings app.
- There are two ways to invert your iPhone’s colors: Using Smart Invert, or Classic Invert.
- If you set up an Accessibility Shortcut, you can quickly turn on inverted colors by triple-clicking the Power button.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
iPhones offer dozens of accessibility options, designed to help users with visual, auditory, and motor impairments. One of the simplest options your phone offers is “inverted colors.”
Here’s how to enable inverted colors on your iPhone in two ways, and even set up a shortcut you can use to toggle the inverted mode on or off.
How to invert the colors on your iPhone
Inverting your screen will switch every color to its exact opposite. So anything white will become black, anything blue will turn orange, and vice versa. It might look strange to some users, but it’s great for users with colorblindness or issues reading bright screens.
To turn it on:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and scroll down to select Accessibility.
2. Select Display & Text Size.
3. Scroll down a bit, and you’ll find two options: Smart Invert and Classic Invert.
- Smart Invert will only invert the colors when you have an app open — your Homescreen and Lockscreen will just have the colors muted a bit. It also doesn’t affect any photos or videos, whether they’re saved to your phone or from an app, or your camera.
- Classic Invert inverts everything that appears on your screen, no matter where it comes from. This includes videos and photos, as well as your camera.
4. Pick either option and it’ll take effect immediately.
How to set up an inverted colors shortcut
If you don’t need inverted colors all the time, you can use the Accessibility Shortcuts option to quickly switch the feature on and off. This lets you turn on inverted colors by triple-clicking the Power button on the side of your iPhone.
1. Open the Settings app and select the Accessibility option again.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and select Accessibility Shortcut.
3. In the menu that opens, select either Classic Invert or Smart Invert from the list.
You can also select both — if you do this, triple-clicking the Power button will bring up a menu that lets you pick which one to activate.