Situated in the foothills of the Himalayas, Kasauli is a small peaceful town that has various viewpoints from where you can enjoy the scenic beauty of hills around the valley. Located just 288 KM from Delhi, Kasauli is a perfect weekend getaway. All you have to do is just pick a bus or train from Delhi to Kalka or Dharampur then take a bus to Kasauli. Also, you can hire a direct cab or taxi from the Chandigarh bus stand.
Tourist attractions like Christ church and Kasauli brewery give a historic touch to this town where Britishers used to spend their summer to get rid of heat. Sunset point, Gilbert trail, Monkey point and Kasauli club are the major attractions whether you’re going with your friends, family or as a honeymoon couple. If you’re planning a trip to Kasauli on a budget then follow our guide how to plan a trip to Kasauli from INR 3K to 5K –
Best time to visit Kasauli
Best month to go Kasauli – March to June and September to November
Kasauli enjoys pleasant weather conditions throughout the year however summer and monsoon are the best seasons to visit Kasauli. Summer would be perfect to enjoy the various nature activities including trekking, hiking, and bird watching while in monsoon you can enjoy the lush greenery of Kasauli. For more detailed information about the weather in Kasauli, you should check our detailed guide of the best time to visit Kasauli.
Cheapest time to visit Kasauli
Monsoon (July to September) is the cheapest time to visit Kasauli as lots of tourists skip the hilly region due to the risk of landslides and floods. But from the last couple of year, the risk of landslides and floods have been reduced but do check the weather condition before leaving. Also, Kasauli is one of the safest places to travel during the monsoon in Himachal. This is the time when you’ll get the best deals on hotel booking and food.
Best way to roam around Kasauli
Kasauli is best to explore on foot as most of the popular places to visit in Kasauli are located near to each other. Most of the major attraction of Kasauli includes viewpoints, nature walks, and trekking trails. So, feet are the most affordable way to roam around Kasauli. And if you want to go off-road then rent a two-wheeler from a nearby rental that can charge you from 300 to 1000 INR per day.
How to reach Kasauli
By road – You can use public transport buses to reach Kasauli via road from Delhi, Chandigarh, and Shimla. There are frequent buses from Delhi or Chandigarh to Kasauli.
By Train – Kalka (40 KM) and Chandigarh (52 KM) has the nearest railway station to Kasauli. These train stations have good connectivity from the nearby major cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Gurgaon, Noida, Ambala, and Amritsar. You can catch a direct train from these cities to Kalka or Chandigarh then you can reach Kasauli by cab or bus.
By Flight – Chandigarh (60 KM) has the nearest airport to Kasauli that is well connected to most of the major cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune, Goa and Chennai. From Chandigarh airport, you’ll easily get a cab or bus to reach Kasauli.
From Chandigarh (60 KM) – There is no direct bus from Chandigarh to Kasauli. Either you need to hire a direct cab to Kasauli which can be very expensive or take a bus from ISBT Chandigarh (Sector 43) to Solan or Shimla that takes around 2 hours to reach. And then you need to stop at Dharampur (ask the driver to drop you at Kasauli mod or chowk) which is just 9 KM from Kasauli. From Dharampur, you’ll easily get a bus to Kasauli.
From Delhi (288 KM) – There is no direct bus from Delhi to Kasauli. You need to take a bus from Delhi to Chandigarh that takes around 4 to 5 hours. And from there follow the above-mentioned information. The bus fare from Delhi to Chandigarh is around 250 to 300 INR and Chandigarh to Dharampur is around 100 INR and Dharampur to Kasauli is around 10 to 30 INR.
If you’re traveling by train then take a direct train from Delhi to Kalka railway station which is located around 40 KM from Kasauli. And from Kalka, you will easily get a bus or taxi to reach Kasauli.
And if you’re traveling by your own vehicle then just turn your GPS and fill the location of Kasauli and enjoy the road trip. It will take around 6 to 7 hours to reach Kasauli from Delhi by road.
From Kalka – You will easily get local buses from Kalka to Kasauli. Also, you can catch the train from Kalka to Dharampur then take a bus to Kasauli.
Best and affordable way to reach Kasauli
if you’re traveling from Delhi, Gurgaon, Panchkula or Chandigarh then bus and train are the cheapest, safest and fastest ways to reach Kasauli.
- Total bus fare of Kasauli from Delhi – 400 INR per head.
- Total bus from Kasauli from Chandigarh – 150 INR per head.
Best places to visit in Kasauli
For camping, trekking, hiking, and bird watching Kasauli is the perfect place. Here are some of the best places to visit in Kasauli –
Gilbert Trail – Gilbert trail is famous for long nature walks, surrounding natural beauty and diverse flora and fauna. This place is frequently visited by nature lovers, photographers and bird watchers. This 1.5 KM trek is easy to cover and doesn’t need any special training to cover.
Monkey Point – Monkey point is the highest point of Kasauli. Located just 4 KM from Mall road, Monkey point is famous for stunning views of Chandigarh and the Himalayan mountain range. The temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman gives a religious touch to this place.
Sunset point – As the name defines, Sunset point is the perfect place to enjoy the beautiful sunset in Kasauli. You can come here in the evening for lots of beautiful pictures, peaceful vibes and the chirping of birds.
Christ Church – The historical and architectural marvel of the Kasauli, Christ church is named the first Anglican church.
Mall Road – Dotted with lots of shops and eateries mall road is the place where you roam around while doing shopping and tasting delicious food.
Kasauli Brewery – It is the oldest distillery of scotch whisky in Asia. It was built in 1820 by Edward Dayer. Come here and enjoy the finest whisky in the world.
To get more detailed information about Kasauli Check out our guide to 13 best places to visit Kasauli and 9 best things to do in Kasauli.
Best places to eat in Kasauli
Kasauli is a paradise for food lovers with its Tibetan eateries that offer delicious food including momos, bun samosa, thukpa, jalebi, Tibetan chicken and everything else.
- Narinder Sweet House at Mall road is one of the most popular places where you can enjoy delicious food at affordable rates. Don’t forget to try the combo of bun samosa and Gulab jamun at Narinder Sweet house.
- Rudra cafe (Shop no. 26) at heritage market is another good place to eat with trance music and a combo of Cold Coffee and cheese sandwich.
- Chicken lovers can go to Wangyal Tibetan Kitchen (Shop no. 15) at Mall road for Chicken Thupka.
- For rooftop eating, you can go to Hangout rooftop cafe. If you look out for delicious food with live music then this is the place you should go. It is a perfect place for couples date and enjoys nightlife in Kasauli.
- Old Town coffee cafe in heritage market is the best place for coffee lovers in Kasauli. Here you can easily spend an hour while enjoying lip-sucking dishes.
- Kasauli distillery is heaven for drink lovers, there you can try historic and authentic wines, and beers while witnessing the process behind the making of your evening refresher.
Kasauli doesn’t have many options for shopping lovers but there are few places you can roam around and buy souvenirs. Mall road, heritage market, upper mall, and lower mall are some of the most famous places to do shopping in Kasauli. These markets are filled with handicrafts, textile, wooden artworks, Tibetan carpets & clothes.
Best places to stay in Kasauli
From budgeted hotels to luxurious resorts, from cozy cottages to affordable homestays, Kasauli has a wide range of staying options. For couples, there are hotels like Hotel Kasauli Regency, Fortune Select Forest hill, Velvet Grey and many more.
The north edge, the western heights and Pine winds villa are the best hotels to stay in Budget. Either you can opt for online booking or you can book on arrival. But to avoid any type of inconvenience we recommend you to book via Booking.com.
Booking(dot)com has a wide range to stay options over 43 languages. It is rated as the best platform for hotel booking worldwide. So, here are the 10 best hotels in Kasauli, BOOK NOW. For homestay lovers, here are 10 best homestays in Kasauli, BOOK NOW
Tips to find best-budgeted hotels in Kasauli –
- Stay away from the Mall road and bus stand.
- Booking(dot) com homestays are best for a budget stay.
- Include breakfast in your stay to avoid extra charges on food.
- Stay more than one night to get the best deals.
- Plan your vacation from July to September to get the best deals on hotel booking.
- Use booking(dot)come to find the best hotel deals in Kasauli with book now and pay later at check-in, and free cancellation services.
Average Kasauli Trip Cost for 2 days
- Transportation cost from Delhi via bus – INR 400
- Transportation cost from Delhi via private taxi – INR 3000 to 5000
- 2 day Hotel Price – INR 1200 Per Night
- Food price for 2 days – INR 1000
- Miscellaneous Expenses – INR 500
Total cost for 2 day trip to Kasauli – INR 4400
Cost for Budget trip to Kasauli for 2 days –
- Use bus to travel from Delhi to Kasauli – INR 400
- Stay in homesatays or dormitory to stay in budget – INR 400 to 600
- Food Price for 2 days – INR 1000
- Miscellaneous Expenses – INR 500
Total cost for 2 days trip to Kasauli – INR 3000
Things you should know while planning a budget trip to Kasauli
- When you’re on a budget trip, you may not get every luxury. So try to enjoy every moment.
- Plan your vacation during the off-season to get the best deal on hotel and flight booking.
- Stay in hostels or homestays.
- Go off-road and do offbeat things to save money.
- Book in advance to get the best deals on hotels & flight prices and avoid the last-minute hassle.
- Be flexible with your plan.
- Do bargain while buying anything at Mall road.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kasauli
What is the average cost for Delhi to Kasauli trip?
Cost for 2 days trip to Kasauli from Delhi –
- Delhi to Kasauli by bus – INR 400
- Hotels Booking – INR 800 to 1200 Per night
- Food – INR 1000
- Miscellaneous Expanses – INR 500
- Total – INR 4000 for 2 days
How to reach Kasauli from Delhi by car?
The car journey from Delhi to Kasauli can take around 6 hours. Start your road from Delhi, after 85 KM or 2 hours and 35 minutes, take the first stop at Panipat. From Panipat, drive till Karnal (34 KM from Panipat) where you’ll get lots of good restaurants to have breakfast or lunch. From Karnal, drive to Kurukshetra then to Ambala. And from Zirakpur, 14 KM before Chandigarh, take a turn towards Kalka. Now before Pinjore, you’ve to take a turn on the Shimla Highway (NH 22). And from Maxima Watch Factory Chowk, 2 KM before Dharampur, take a left turn towards Kasauli. Now drive for the next 13 KM to reach Kasauli.
Route – Delhi -> Panipat -> Karnal (Stop for breakfast or food) -> Kurukshetra -> Ambala -> Turn towards Kalka from Zirakpur, 14 KM before Chandigarh -> Before Pinjore, turn on Shimla Highway (NH 22) -> 2 KM from Dharampur, take a left turn towards Kasauli -> drive next 13 KM to reach Kasauli.
How many days are enough for Kasauli?
2 night and 3 days are enough to explore Kasauli. One day is enough to explore the local tourist attractions like Gilbert trail, Sunset point, Monkey Point, and Sunrise Point. On the next day you can visit the Christ Church, Kasauli Brewery, Shimla Kalka Toy Train and Hangout bar. And on the last day some shopping at Mall road & Heritage Market and leave for your home.