Jim Feldkamp is the Lead Consultant – Intelligence & Counterterrorism at Complete Threat Preparedness.
As a Commander, James (Jim) L. Feldkamp, USN Ret., Jim was a US Naval Flight Officer, Counter-Measures Officer (ECMO), and Navigator for the EA-6B – the U.S. Navy’s carrier-based electronic attack aircraft. He flew off the USS Midway in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1991.
Affiliating with the U.S. Naval Reserves became a Special Agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) at Norfolk, Virginia.
Jim was a founding member of the Joint Counter Terrorism Task Force and, as a collateral duty, was one of three pilots in the Norfolk office that conducted aerial physical surveillance of suspects in criminal and terrorist cases. In 2004 he resigned from the FBI to become the Republican nominee for Oregon’s District 4 Congressional seat during both the 2004 and 2006 election cycles.
In 2007 he was recalled to active Navy reserve duty to help establish the precursor office of NMIO and was responsible for the coordination of all domestic and international information-sharing of non-classified information among U.S. federal government agencies, foreign governments, and the international maritime shipping industry to increase maritime security and maritime domain awareness.
Jim is currently a Subject Matter Expert at Georgetown University, developing a course on “Terrorism and Unconventional Threats.” Previously, he was an adjunct professor at George Mason University, and George Washington University, teaching undergraduate courses in domestic and international terrorism. He has authored/edited a university textbook through Cognella Academic Publishing on the “Theory and Politics of Terrorism.”
In this discussion, we dive into Jim’s full story, talk about finding peace in discomfort, and more.
Also, something amazing to know, Jim and his family have a milk delivery business called Umpqua Dairy. It was created by Ormond Feldkamp and Herb Sullivan in 1931 with just $500. Their ice cream was rated best in North America in 2020.
1) What got you into being a US Naval Flight Officer? [1:57]
2) Why did your dad get you into flying? [4:13]
3) When you were 18 and got your flying certification, what did the training consist of? [5:12]
4) What did you learn in the 3 decades of your various services with the Navy? [8:00]
5) Can you explain what happened off the USS Midway in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1991? [10:20]
6) Overall, when in the armed forces, what other important things did you learn? [17:00]
7) What were your adventures and experiences like in Japan? [19:30]
8) To the layperson, what would emphasize about travel and its importance? [23:00]
9) What are your favorite history books? [25:20]
10) Can you explain diving and Truck Lagoon? [28:55]
11) How was seeing the Great Barrier Reef? [31:00]
12) What did the Clipper Race Around the World consist of?! [32:00]
13) What do you tap into in order to persist when you’re within extreme discomfort? [36:20]
14) What is your family business? What do you like about wine tasting and wines so much? [38:30]
15) Don’t be afraid to take a chance. [46:25]
US Naval Flying
Flying Training at age 18
The Importance of Travel
Finding Comfort Within Discomfort
USS Midway; Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1991
[Book] What If?
[Quote] “Is it time that makes the man…. or man that makes the time?”
[Quote] “If you find yourself going through hell, keep going.” (Winston Churchill)
Clipper Race Around the World
Diving – Chuuk Lagoon
Clipper Race Around the World
Umpqua Dairy – Feldkamp Family Business
Running with the Bulls in Pamplona
[Quote] “You don’t know what tomorrow brings, but I can tell you one thing, if you don’t take chances nothing will change. So, if you want to change the world or change your life, take a chance.” (Jim Feldkamp)
Umpqua Dairy Website:
To see what we are up to and what is going on around the Dream BIG & Co community you can follow us on the following platforms:
Our Spotify Playlist: