With another major travel holiday right around the corner, Tripadvisor has the latest data on Americans’ Thanksgiving travel plans.
This number rises to 52% of Gen Z and 49% of Millennials. Notably, much of the travel being booked currently is last-minute, so there is a chance the number of Americans hitting the road rises as we get closer to the holiday. And for context, over half (55%) of Americans report planning to travel this winter (from November 1 through January 1). More details on trends for the winter season can be found here.
- Travel distance: 55% of Thanksgiving travelers are staying within two hours from home, 39% are staying domestic, and 6% are venturing international.
- Average length of stay: three nights.
- When to watch the roads: Most popular check in dates are November 24 (day before Thanksgiving), November 25 (Thanksgiving), and November 23, respectively.
62% will drive to their destination, but 29% will fly, as the number of Americans hitting the skies is rising once again.
- Average trip price: $1,005 (for context, the average booking value of everyone that booked a trip between September 1 and October 29 is $886, so people are definitely willing to spend more this Thanksgiving, presumably to see family).
- Travel buddies: 45% are traveling with household family, 23% are going alone.
- Purpose of trip: 65% are visiting family, while 24% are getting out of dodge for a vacation.
Most popular destinations Americans are heading this Thanksgiving are below.
Tripadvisor, the world’s largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 988 million reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type.
The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of travel media brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps, including the following websites: www.bokun.io, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com, www.helloreco.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, September 2021
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files